Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DIY / Homemade Fingerpaint and Review

My little Boo Bear,  is an artist. My walls are proof of it. When she was 1 we would put her in the highchair with watercolors , or crayons and sheets of coloring paper and she would find herself occupied for quite sometime. Her newest thing is painting with big kid paints. We had some crayola  washable paints stashed away from like 5 years ago. I pulled them out  some were dried out and some not.But as of this week she has used most of them up.  I was "surfing" Pinterest and found a easy recipe for finger paint.
http://easiepeasie.blogspot.com/2010/07/homemade-finger-paints.html



This was simple to make took about fifteen minutes. I added about a cup more of water once it was thickened and off the stove to thin it out to the consistency I like.(it is the consistency of thick shampoo) I poured it into a  4 cup glass  measuring cup. I also used my old rinsed out Crayola washable paint jars and reused those. I tried to use a funnel to get the paint into the little jars. That took way to long, I finally just poured the mix into the bottles. I added about 10 drops or so of food coloring to get the shade I wanted. Shook them well to mix color and I had 2 extra bottles of finger paint. I made blue and yellow and had some green  crayola left over so I added the leftover  plain "finger paint" to that jar with some more green food coloring.Shook and now have a full bottle of green. You can tell by the picture that the yellow and blue are a bit thicker than the green and red.

Review
Took a short amount of time, very cost effective.  (The 5 year old bottles of paint, had a price tag of 1.99 on them still) . I used what I had in my cupboard. So if she puts some in her mouth I feel ok since it was made with items I bake with.  They wash off fine and do the job of painting. They are not as dark as the Crayola brand. But they do the job. If they get left on hands for a while It may stain them lightly. So be careful on clothes. Also the mix will thicken up, so I only filled the bottles halfway with the finger paint, just in case I needed to add water later to water it down.I like them a lot. I would make it  again instead of buying them.
*** after the paints rested for most  of the day, they thickened up ( like Noxema facial cream texture), just add a little water to the bottle and shake, or put the paint on a tray and add additional water to get the consistency you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment