Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY soaps review

Hello friends, it has been a few weeks since I posted.. but last couple of weeks I have tried to make homemade liquid soaps, shampoo and laundry detergent. I have had 2 successes and one epic fail. Here is one part of many today..enjoy.. next post is Laundry detergent.

DIY Shampoo
First off I will start with the Shampoo. Crunch Betty http://www.crunchybetty.com/ is the best website I have found for homemade beauty products..she is amazing. Well she has a recipe as I call them for diy shampoo..or in the "crunchy" term "sorta poo" This is the link http://www.crunchybetty.com/not-ready-for-no-poo-try-sorta-poo-with-coconut-milk-and-castille  Its castille soap, and coconut milk. I will tell you it worked AMAZING!!

For DIY shampoo I followed her recipe but tripled it.
I used 3 Tbs of Lavender Castille soap. (just a warning..if you use the lavender castille soap..the lavender will relax you and you will want to cuddle on your couch and snuggle)
3 Tsp of coconut milk

Review:
Easy to make, I bought a small bottle of lavender castille soap ( all natural plant based soap) I used canned coconut milk, instead of homemade coconut milk. The solution I made with canned milk seemed thicker, than the picture on Crunchy Bettys website. The lather is better than any shampoo I have ever tried. I use less of this shampoo than the store brand. Apparently  from what I read..the coconut milk has something in it that makes it lather well. It rinses clean and smells amazing.
I did some research and found some people said that the canned or store bought milk left a weird feeling in their hair. I did not find that when I used canned coconut milk. I did however rinse well with a solution of apple cider vinegar and water and my hair came out beautifully. ** please note, Crunchy Betty says to keep this stuff out of your eyes..it burns bad from what she says..

Crunchy Betty  suggested using an apple cider diluted in water as a "conditioner". I took a small spray bottle and filled it using 1 part apple cider vinegar to 5 parts water. I found spraying it all over my hair and scalp was easier than pouring it on my head from a jar. I rinsed very well. I did not smell like a pickle at all. :)  * Because I have thick curly hair, I recommend washing your hair every other day to prevent drying it out.

Also for a quick clarifying way  to get rid of  build-up I used 1 tbs of baking soda to 8 oz of water..(Add 8oz water in shower or you will shiver from the water you added before hand)  pour on and rub in scalp , rinse well..This stuff got rid of build up no other clarifying shampoo could ever do.

I made 2 more batches of the shampoo . My husband LOVES it. He uses it as a body wash and shampoo. He likes it because it rinses clean quickly. He has found even Ivory soap takes a while to rinse off.  He also loves the smell.. Of course it is all natural so better for you and the environment. So I highly recommend Using Crunchy Betty's recipe for Homemade Shampoo. I works very well and you cannot beat the savings on it versus store shampoo.  I paid 6 bucks for a bottle of  Lavender Castille soap and I had cocount milk on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment